Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What is it About Sandwiches?



Mr. Park Avenue, how I love to cook for you. Well, "cook" is a relative term, since all I really do is make you sandwiches.

When I spend hours and hours cooking complex meals for your delight, you balk and say, "more sandwiches, please."

No problem. Complex meals take me four to five hours to prepare, sandwiches take me one. One hour. And you know, it's kind of a great challenge. I have to come up with exciting new kinds of sandwiches to keep you guessing. This time I made your favorite wasabi tuna melt. I added a ham, havarti and chili mayo on ciabatta. I made you cookies and a couple other things you love, but what will I make next time?

What is it about sandwiches? Why are they so wonderful? Do they remind us of childhood lunches prepared by mom? Do they take us back to romantic picnics in the park? Is it a summertime thing? I don't know. But I know that I'm partial to pressed sandwiches; sandwiches with cheese that are warmed on a panini press until they have a nice crunchiness and meltiness. I know my husband loves turkey sandwiches, and Mr. Park Avenue loves tuna melts.

Maybe next time I'll make roasted red pepper and goat cheese, or grilled pork and fontina, or steak sandwiches with provolone and parsley pesto, or egg, gorgonzola and pancetta, or grilled veggie and manchego, Italian club, pulled bbq chicken, grilled honey-lime chicken... wow! Inspiration, hello!

Well, Mr, Park Avenue, I'm thrilled to be making sandwiches for you for the amount of money you pay me. I'll do it as long as you'll have me. Thanks.

No comments: